Thursday 21 December 2017

Greetings from Berlin








Happy Christmas to anyone kind enough to be checking up on me here.
Happy New Year, too.

Here we are in Berlin for an early family Christmas get-together, very kindly hosted by elder son and his partner. I am staying in a beautiful, cutting-edged, stainless steel and polished concrete apartment where my son's partner spends some of her time. She works in Berlin and can cycle to work through one of the many attractive parks. Younger son, his wife and two children are staying in a rather more family-friendly apartment a few minutes walk away through the same park. By family-friendly I mean without a mezzanine kitchen with almost irresistible (to a 15 month old climber) metal balcony and open-tread metal staircase.

I am surprised by how much I appreciate polished concrete and stainless steel. I know I appreciate German efficiency and design, things that work, trains that run on time, and I'm drawn to the relaxed atmosphere of this major city,  criss-crossed by so many cyclists and runners.
Children are transported in splendid side-cars attached to the bikes, or in padded boxes over the front wheel. People are keen to be healthy, to remain active. The trains have generous accommodation for cycles (and for wheel-chairs, I must admit). When I was here earlier in the year I was suitably impressed by the nude-bathing in the local lakes. One felt rather stand-offish, keeping one's clothes on, when everyone else - babies, grannies, the lot - had the most complete all-over sun-tans.

There are excellent playgrounds all around. When so many families live in low-rise apartments such as these the playgrounds are essential. They are much appreciated by granddaughter and grandson, who is now walking and keen to have a go on anything, especially if it involves climbing. In fact we spend much of our time admiring the playgrounds and what various people can do in them. Some of the climbing frames are adult-sized, so sons can alarm me was well as grandchildren: "Be careful up there - you're only 35 and you haven't got your gloves on...."






Then we return to the warmth of the heated floors, and uncle and niece can teach each other how to build a Lego space-ship - a special moment of togetherness for a far-flung family.

Seasons greetings to you all, and may all your family times be as valued.

14 comments:

  1. A very, very Happy Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E.C. Thank you so much, and I wish the same for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post. you're obviously having a good time with family.
    Blessings Be to you and yours on this first night after the year turning xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to see you posting again! Very happy Christmas to you and your family. Those polished concrete floors look very unforgiving! but smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are having a lovely time with your family. How wonderful to spend the holidays with loved ones. May you all have a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete

  6. Lovely to see you here again and to hear how those grandchildren have grown. Good that those dads are in touch still with the children they were. I'm sure they'll be fine if they heed you and put their gloves on! I wish you all a very happy Christmas and hope to see more posts from you in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gz: ahhhh...the year turning! That's a lovely thought. Thank you for reading and commenting. I keep reading, but am bad at commenting.

    Pam: the concrete floors are warm and some people think they're good for skating and sliding. Hopefully, not me.

    Starting Over: thank you for your comment. I hope you have a lovely time too.

    Molly: yes, the big boys still have some good climbing skills, but they are reckless about woolly hats, gloves and nice warm vests.

    The message to all of you is thank you for still being there despite my negligence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! A very happy Christmas to you and yours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so pleased you're all able to enjoy each other together, in person. Technology has a very long way to go before it's a satisfactory substitute — a virtual hug just doesn't do it. I'm afraid in my case it will have to do, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is great. Wishing you a happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth: thank you, and wishing you a very happy and peaceful time.

    P.Pete:Virtual hugs from all of us, even though some of us may be coated in yogurt (and much worse). Hope you're enjoying some summer warmth.

    Roughterrain crane: thank you for your comment. I have a Japanese cat waving good fortune at me, so I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, good to hear your comments on Berlin. I love it too. I think if I had to live any city apart from London it might be Berlin, even though that would mean learning German (hm...) I have always wanted a heated floor, even though I know our climate doesn't completely justify it. During my childhood in Germany I always appreciated the double windows too, during winter. I think they still have them in older houses but these days there's probably something more high tech. You might be on your way back to UK by now. Happy Christmas, wherever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds wonderful. Joyeaux Noel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Recollect what you've recently perused with the goal that you can undoubtedly locate a respectable floor covering cleaning organization that will work superbly.Satta King
    Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete